Monday, June 1, 2009

Change in plan

I decided to change the way I will animate my characters head. I was all gung ho about the silicon mask and poured one to test the concept. At first (this was back in Nov 08) I was happy - it looked great, there was an issue with bubbles, but looked good. Then I tested eyebrow movement and the whole eye moved including the eye shape deforming. So now I'm back to using replacement faces. Frankly it doesn't hurt that Coraline pulled it off fantastically. For now I'm sculpting mine by hand, but the 3D printer idea looks totally fun and well, helpful.

Behind the scenes

Thought I would put up some behind the scenes shots.

Christian my main character showing off the camera sled. The camera screws in from the bottom.

Sled in action

This photo is the day after the last shot on my final assignment. The tinfoil wrapped light is my spot light that I lit his face with. I had a board above the camera that bounced the light from the black spots above too. The big arts and crafts light was off during filming.